Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Meet Kirti Malhotra: The Yasmin of ‘Dhobi Ghat’

kirti malhotraShe has done costume designing for ‘Sarkar Raaj’, the dream song in ‘Delhi 6′, ‘Action Replayy’ and recently ‘No Problem’, but this was her first brush with facing the camera as she debuted with Kiran Rao’s ‘Dhobi Ghat’. Meet Kirti Malhotra, the Yasmin of ‘Dhobi Ghat’ who wants to wait for the reaction of the audience before she thinks about moving further ahead in her acting career.
‘I never thought of acting. When the question came whether I want to do this film or not, it was clear to me it’s the kind of film I would always go and watch. I think I was really, really lucky in this case. There are newcomers every day in the masala films and you rather be in a film that stands out than be lost in the crowd with all these films,’ Kirti told IANS in an interview.
‘Since I have been given this opportunity on a golden platter, I want to see how it goes with the reaction of the film, my performance and everything and then I can pursue this. Acting career can go anyway. The kind of film this is it could go to crossover films. I am not too sure about the typical masala film, may be one I have to do in my life,’ said Kirti.
And what could be a better debut opportunity for a new comer than to share screen space with Aamir perfectionist Khan himself.
Kirti says, ‘When Aamir came into the film my reaction was ‘Oh my God, now everyone is going to watch the film’ because immediately your audience space becomes that huge. Nothing can prepare you best when you are acting in front of Aamir Khan. He is literally an artiste within acting. When we were doing the reading, he acted out his first scene in three different ways, just to give options to Kiran how differently the scene could be done. I felt that my voice even wouldn’t come out while shooting the film.’
‘He is super intelligent, very sharp, very perceptive; so I think once you get over the fact that superstar Aamir Khan is in front of you and be normal, he is very normal,’ she adds.